Monday, October 17, 2011

Blog Post#6

                In my opinion a person’s neighborhood shapes them to a certain extent. I grew up in East Oakland in a predominately minority neighborhood. Growing up I lived in a tight-knit neighborhood where everyone looked out for one another, but we weren’t naive to the things that were going on around us. Luckily with my family dynamics I always understood that education was important. In my opinion my community didn’t affect me as far as schooling went. My community shaped me on my thoughts, the way I speak, and my mentality. For example growing up I saw a lot of violence, and as a result now violence doesn’t really scare me. I’ve learned how to analyze different situations and react to them accordingly.
 As far as school went my community gave me an outlook on how I didn’t want to be. I saw a lot of young mothers, high school dropout and used this as an example of what I didn’t want to do. I feel that people sometimes have a choice as to whether or not there neighbor hoods shape them. I said sometimes because there are those extreme cases where people don’t have a choice. In my opinion you can choose if you want to be successful or not despite your neighborhood. For example if you were raised in the suburbs in a nice community, you still have the choice if you’re going to school to learn or not. The same goes for people that were raised inner-city they have the choice to choose if they go to school to learn. The only difference would be the materials and curriculum available to them.
I am who I am despite the neighborhood I lived in. This statement best fits me because despite how I grew up I still choose to go to school every day and learn. There were times when outside things could have affected me but I didn’t let them. I feel that I am a part of the lucky few from my neighborhood that have accomplished some goals, but also have goals to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment